Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day XXVI:

Today I started planning out my presentation. I not sure what the scope of it should be so I probably will have to cut some stuff out or change my focus. As of right now my topic is "The Application of Neural Networks to the prediction of Coronal Mass Ejections". I don't think that I will be able to both explain how Neural Networks work, and how their attributes can help in the prediction of the onset of a Coronal Mass Ejection. I may have to only talk about Neural Networks or the prediction of CMEs.

I also played some more Call of Duty today for the Visual Perception lab's experiment. The eye tracker apparently was not working but they let me play anyway. It is a fun game.

Another CME has been projected to hit the earth tonight. There have been a series of events beginning earlier this month that have all made an impact here on Earth. The most surprising part about this is that we are not necessarily being hit by the biggest bursts. For instance, the sun may have one large explosion followed by a much smaller one. As common knowledge would have it, the larger CME would be the one hitting the Earth but I guess that is not the case. Another part of this project now is to determine not only when a CME is occurring but also if a CME will actually make contact with the Earth. I still don't understand how we are supposed to determine the trajectory of a CME just from the two dimensional images provided by the LASCO C2 sensor.

No comments:

Post a Comment